Hope everyone had an enjoyable Fall Break! Just a few weeks left until the end of the trimester. Here’s what’s up for this week: Continue reading “Week of October 16”
Happy Pre-Fall Break! I know you are looking forward to a week off. Here’s what’s happening this week.
General School Announcements
- Signups for the PSAT will be opened up to SOPHOMORES on the Monday after Fall Break. Please be listening to morning announcements for more information, or see Ms. Lori Vanover in the guidance office. PSAT signups are first come, first served.
- There will be English ESS this week on Wednesday morning before school.
- Monday – We will be beginning a collection of readings themed “War and Peace”. First, we will be reading Sophocles’ Antigone. In class on Monday, we will be introducing the backstory (including Oedipus Rex) and associated literary vocabulary.
- Tuesday – Second period only – Second period was awarded the opportunity to have a Gothic-themed potluck as a reward for having a 100% class average on their weekly assessment. In all classes, we will be taking our second plot test and doing sign-ups for reading roles for Antigone. In the remaining time, I will meet one-on-one with students regarding essays.
- Wednesday – Read and discuss Antigone
- Thursday – Read and discuss Antigone
- Friday – Weekly quiz; if necessary, we will finish Antigone. Dialectical journals are due on Friday.
This week’s vocabulary: https://quizlet.com/229092018/2017-pre-ap-vocabulary-8-flash-cards/
- Monday – Bell ringer, Grammar lesson #3, finish “The Seventh Man” in CR
- Tuesday – Bell ringer, Grammar lesson #4
- Wednesday – Bell ringer, Grammar lesson – diagramming practice
- Thursday – Bell ringer, Grammar EXAM
- Friday – Weekly vocabulary quiz; Discussion of Thursday’s test
Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend. I certainly enjoyed watching the Madisonville Maroons host a baseball camp for younger boys; it’s awesome to watch you guys volunteer to teach little ones. Here’s what’s going on at MNHHS this week: Continue reading “Week of September 25”
Please take note: due to serious funding deficits, we have had to make some drastic changes to our ESS program. There will be no enhanced learning this school year. ESS will continue as long as the budget provides for it. At this time, these are the dates for the English ESS sessions:
We are quickly approaching midterm. Remember that grade reports are distributed in my class every Monday; check your grades and stay on top of things! Continue reading “Week of September 18”
As always, we have a lot on our agenda this week. Before I get in to our class information, I’d like to inform you that I will be asking students to join me in the observation of a moment of silence at the beginning of each class period. While there are official memorial times, our school schedule does not coincide well with those.
In this Message:
- General School Announcements
- Weekly Agenda
General School Announcements
- This week is Spirit Week, culminating in our homecoming Pep Rally and football game. Our themes are: ‘Merica Monday, Twin Tuesday, Pajama Day Wednesday, Throwback Thursday (Decade Day), and Maroon/White Day on Friday.
- Student Council elections will be held this week in advisory.
- I will not be ZAPping students this week due to short administrative staff (but please join me in congratulating Christian Klaas on the birth of his daughter).
- ESS begins this week. I personally teach ESS on Wednesday mornings. This is a good time to make up or retake quizzes/tests or to get additional help with concepts (like diagramming sentences).
- Parents: on Mondays, I distribute your child’s folder with graded work and a copy of their most recent progress report. Any late assignments are indicated on this progress report. If a student gets ZAPped for an assignment but still does not turn it in by the end of the week, the grade remains a zero.
In Class This Week (Pre-AP):
- Monday – Bell ringer, overview of dialectical journals, grammar lesson (sentence types, diagramming questions)
- Tuesday – Bell ringer, mini-lesson on absolute phrases, reading from anthology
- Wednesday – Bell ringer, mini-lesson on appositives, reading from anthology
- Thursday – Bell ringer, mini-lesson on gerund phrases, reading from anthology. We will have the Chromebooks – you will have a SHORT task to perform on the computer.
- Friday – Study time for weekly vocabulary quiz. After the vocabulary quiz, students may work individually or in groups on the study guide for their novel tests.
In Class This Week (Regular) – CORRECTED 9/11
- Monday – Bell ringer, Aristotle’s Elements Prezi, introduction to Antigone
- Tuesday – Bell ringer, Read & discuss Antigone
- Wednesday – Bell ringer, Read & discuss Antigone
- Thursday – Bell ringer, Read & discuss Antigone
- Friday – Study time for weekly vocabulary quiz. Complete Antigone
Pre-AP list: https://quizlet.com/_3ogwsi
Regular English – Quizlet (https://quizlet.com/_3ojlft)
- Stage Directions
- Tragic Hero