I apologize for not posting this earlier; I had to swap out our modem. Never a dull moment with technology…
Reading Quide #4 – The Count of Monte Cristo, Chapters 33 – 46
This is your last reading quiz. Our next Monte Cristo assessment will be a full novel test after Fall Break.
Chapter 33 – The Pair of Dappled Greys
- What upsets Mme. Danglars?
- To whom has Mme. Danglars lent her horses?
- What is different about the horses when they are returned?
- What happens with Ali and the horses?
- What does the little boy that makes Monte Cristo warn him (“Sonny”)?
Chapter 34 – Haydee
- Who is Haydee?
- What does Monte Cristo want Haydee to keep secret?
Chapter 35 – The Morrel Family
- What object has the Morrel family placed in a glass case?
- Whom does Monte Cristo tell Julie he believes Sindbad to be?
- Whom did M. Morrel believe Sindbad to be?
Chapter 36 – Toxicology
- What kind of boy is Edward?
- Where does Monte Cristo say he’s seen the Villeforts before?
- Who did Mme. Villefort think Monte Cristo was in Italy?
- What odd topic does Monte Cristo discuss with Mme. Villefort? What is the poison?
- What does Monte Cristo promise to send Mme. Villefort?
Chapter 37 – The Rise and Fall of Stocks
- Who objects to the marriage of Albert and Eugenie?
- Which of the Danglars speculates?
- How could someone make Danglars lose money?
- Who comes to visit at five? (REMEMBER–these people are not who they seem)
Chapter 38 – Pyramus and Thisbe
- Who are the secret lovers?
- How could it “be in Mme. de Villefort’s interest that (Valentine) should not marry”?
- How did Monte Cristo help Max get a horse?
Chapter 39 – M. Noirtier de Villefort
- How does Noirtier communicate?
- What does Noirtier ask Valentine to retrieve?
Chapter 40 – The Will
- What is Noirtier’s plan to prevent the marriage? Why will it work?
Chapter 41 – The Telegraph
- How much money does Villefort ay he has lost?
- What happens at the end of the chapter with the telegraph message, and how does it affect Danglars?
Chapter 42 – The Dinner
- What are some ways Monte Cristo displays his ridiculous wealth? (hint: fish, jars, trees…)
- What is unusual about the way the Cavalcantis are dressed?
Chapter 43 – A Conjugal Scene
- Who is playing the piano?
- Why is Danglars upset?
- How does Mme. Danglars try to get out of the argument?
Chapter 44 – Matrimonial Plans
- Who is there to “visit” with Monte Cristo when Danglars gets there?
- What information do we find out about the Cavalcantis as they talk?
- What do we find out that Danglars would like to do for his daughter’s wedding?
- IMPORTANT. WHO PLANTS THE IDEA TO RESEARCH ALI PASHA/TEBELIN?
Chapter 45 – A Summer Ball
- What does Albert tell Monte Cristo he thinks of Eugenie? (it’s not flattering)
- Whom does Albert want Monte Cristo to invite to the ball? What is his response?
- How does Mme de Villefort feel about Max Morrel?
- What will Monte Cristo not do, no matter who offers him?
- What terrible news is shared about the Villefort family?
Chapter 46 – Mme de Saint-Meran
- Why is Mme. de Saint-Meran at the house?
- What did she think she saw in the night?
- How did M. de Saint-Meran die?